In fact, I'm not even sure what "taste vegan" means because honestly, vegan food tastes amazing!
This pumpkin bread from Sally's Baking Addiction is a great find! In place of the eggs, I used flax eggs, replaced vegetable oil with coconut oil, used vegan sugar instead of regular sugar, and voila! Veganized pumpkin bread that's easy to make, delicious and full of pumpkin yumminess, without "tasting vegan." Sure to remind you of the flavors of fall even on an 80 degree October day.
Vegan Pumpkin Bread (adapted from Sally's Baking Addiction Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread)
1 3/4 c all-purpose flour
1 t baking soda
2 1/2 t pumpkin pie spice mix
3/4 t salt
2 flax eggs (2 T ground flaxseed mixed with 5 T water)
3/4 c vegan cane sugar
1/2 c packed vegan brown sugar
1 can pumpkin puree
1/2 c melted refined coconut oil*
1/4 c almond milk or your favorite milk
2/3 c mini vegan chocolate chips (optional**)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Prep your flax eggs and let them rest while you do the following:
- Grease loaf pan or 9x5 pan with coconut oil.
- In a large bowl, mix dry ingredients together.
- In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients together with the flax eggs and add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients.
- Fold in chocolate chips, if using.
- Bake for an hour or until a knife inserted into the bread comes out clean.
- Cool for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from pan, slice and enjoy!
*You can use unrefined coconut oil instead if you don't mind a coconut flavor.
**I didn't use chocolate chips since I'm not a fan of chocolate and pumpkin together. Plus I like my pumpkin bread sans texture.